Thursday, July 30, 2009

A little Q & A

Here's a little Q & A... first, a question to me.

Q: All the young farts around here might understand the difference between a static website and a blog, but I'm not sure I do (I doubt I'm alone in that). Help us understand how they relate to each other, and the specific needs each might meet.

A: Great question. In a nutshell, a blog is a series of individual posts in reverse chronological order. The newest is on top. (Okay, so if you go to our blog you see that there's a post which has been on top forever. That's because I dated it in the future because I wanted it to stay on top for a while. I like the picture). Also, with a blog it's easy to feed the posts to a RSS feed or an email address (I'm willing to bet that if you live in our little community, you're reading this by email). A static website, such as I'm proposing at here is good for content that doesn't change frequently. For instance, I'd love to have the bylaws posted electronically along with the buyer's package. Those don't change much and are good for a static website. If you'd like to see the difference (maybe), you can check out my little piece of the Internet at www.PeterStinson.com.

Now, you might be wondering why we don't have a cool web address like that. Simple: we just haven't bought one yet. At the moment, both our website and our blog are free, thanks to Google. We could spend a couple of bucks a year for a unique URL (website address), but other than that, there's no reason to shell out any money. Everything at my little piece of the Internet (aside from the custom URL) is free...

Now, a couple of questions to the president of the homeowners' board.

Q: I have some some furniture that I want to get rid of. I've seen some furniture just left on the street. What's the deal.

A: The City does bulk wast pickup (see here). Only one item at a time should be left out in front of one’s unit on the day of bulk pick up but it is very important to call bulk pick up first to find out what day they will pick up and leave it out that day only or no sooner than the evening before.

Q: What do I do if I have more than one vehicle? Where can I park it if I can't use the extra parking here in Crawford Bay?

A: I know several people who have more than 2 vehicles who rent spaces in one of the parking garages in Olde Towne. Everyone was told they only have 2 spaces when they purchased their units. I feel it is inconsiderate to park in spots that the unit is for sale. If an agent wants to bring a prospective buyer it does not leave them a convenient place to park. Would you park in someone’s garage if their house was vacant and for sale? Also, you may also park on anywhere in Olde Towne (such as on Middle or North Streets) if you have a parking sticker on your car. As a resident here at Crawford Bay, you are also an Olde Towne resident and entitled to parking stickers for your cars. Parking permits are available at City Hall.

Q: When is the next board meeting?

A: The August board meeting will be held this Monday night, August 3rd in unit 139. The homeowner’s forum begins at 6:30.

No comments: